Pelton Community Primary School, we believe that inclusive education means providing all pupils with appropriate education and support alongside their peers. The Curriculum is all the planned activities that the school organises in order to promote learning, personal growth and development.
It includes not only the formal requirements of the National Curriculum, but also the range of additional opportunities that the school organises in order to enrich the experiences of our children. Our curriculum also includes the social aspects that are essential for life-long learning.
Our SEND philosophy places SEND children at the heart of personalised learning and our curriculum is tailored to meet individual pupils needs. At times and when it is felt appropriate, modifications to the curriculum may be implemented. To successfully match pupil ability to the curriculum, Pelton Community Primary School, is committed to:
- A range of teaching and learning styles
- Differentiated learning materials
- Access to ICT and Technology
- Additional in class support
- Additional out of class support
- Up to date staff training on Special Educational Needs & Disabilities developments
- Many Enrichment and Enjoyment opportunities to stimulate and motivate learning
- Flexible groupings – including small group support work
- A creative topic-based curriculum
- The Restorative Approach to behaviour management
- A Nurture group facility
- Mentoring and counselling
- A broad range of inclusive extra-curricular activities
- Assessment procedures that emphasise pupils’ strengths and achievements
- Applications during national testing at Key Stage 2 to obtain access arrangements as appropriate.